Wednesday, September 2, 2009

August 27 - Old Fisherman

This "Old Fisherman" painting hangs in my kitchen. It originally belonged to my grandmother, Marion Cummins (Mim). I have memories of this painting hanging in her home when I was growing up. On a trip "home" to Sweden, her mother, Elsa Fanning (Arming), bought it for her, knowing that she would like the painting.






















Mim's sister, Dorothy, liked the painting so much that my father recreated it for her. He was in high school when he painted a replica for her as a Christmas gift. As a child, I also spent a lot of time at my "Auntie Dot's" house and I have memories of my father's painting hanging in her home. That painting now hangs at my father's house.





















It remains a mystery to us as to why this painting was so beloved by my grandmother and her sister. I treasure it because it belonged to my grandmother and I think of her every time I look at it.

No comments: